Tuesday 22 March 2016

Sugar Free Banana Cake



It is March and in my house that equals birthdays and lots of baking! I made this cake earlier in the month for my daughter's school birthday and wanted to avoid added sugar but still make something delicious that the children would love. This cake has a soft, light texture and a delicate banana flavour. Rather than cover the cake with icing I drizzled it with delicious melted carob. This is a great alternative to chocolate! 





Side note - carob is one of those flavours that takes me right back to my own childhood, have you tried it? To be honest, if you bit into a piece of carob thinking it was milk chocolate you would probably be disappointed as the flavour is quite different, but still tasty and able to hit the sweet spot in its own way.   




I decorated the cake with fresh raspberries, and before we left for school in the morning I also popped some fresh, brightly coloured flowers in the middle as the cheerful finishing touch. It was a hit!




Also on the subject of birthday cake, here is a snap of a spotty dog cake I made for a friend's daughter last weekend. It was a simple vanilla cake iced with vanilla buttercream and decorated with black fondant paw prints and spots. I loved putting this together, even the fondant doggie on top. All I can say is thank goodness for Pinterest and YouTube tutorials! 




Lastly, Easter is just around the corner and if you celebrate I hope it is a special weekend. Two of my favourite Easter baking recipes are these Chocolate easter nest cupcakes and Mini Easter simnel cakes, do give them a try! Fire up those ovens, enjoy a bit of home baking and have a fabulous week.  


_________________________

SUGAR FREE BANANA CAKE


Makes 1 x 23cm cake 




3 large eggs
1 cup xylitol
100ml sunflower oil
200ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 small bananas (about 180g)
1.5 cups flour
100ml cornflour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
100g carob chunks (optional)
fresh raspberries (optional)

Step 1.) Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease a 23cm ring tin.

Step 2.) Beat the eggs and xylitol together until pale and creamy. Add the oil, milk and vanilla extract and beat to combine.

Step 3.) Mash the bananas and stir into the mixture. Sift in the flour, cornflour, baking powder and salt and mix to combine.

Step 4.) Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.

Step 5.) Optional decoration: Melt the carob chunks and drizzle over the cooled cake. Decorate with fresh raspberries just before serving.










4 comments:

  1. Love your pics of this banana cake, Teresa! What a great alternative for a sugar-free option. As a teenager, I think I survived on nut and carob bars. Maybe it's time for a revisit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di! I feel as though I have rediscovered carob and will definitely be using it more in the future. The kids love it too which is handy. ;)

      Delete
  2. WOW this cake looks amazing! I cant believe it is sugar-free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's great to have a sugar free cake option in the repertoire. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete