Wednesday 15 October 2014

Oat & Raisin Cookies





Things are seriously slowing down here at Cupcakes and Couscous HQ as we prepare to welcome our newest little cupcake to the family! And I think we are as ready as we will ever be - after a frantic last minute dash the nursery has been prepared, the baby clothes have been washed and sorted and my hospital bag is ready and waiting. Those who know me well will tell you that baking is one of my favourite things to do, and so while we count down the last few days until d-day I have managed fit in some baking time... and another recipe for you, hooray!




Confession time... this recipe has evolved somewhat over the last week. What started as an attempt to create a sugar-free wholesome cookie went rather awry! I started by replacing the sugar with a baking sweetener and resisted the urge to include even the tiniest smidge of chewiness-inducing syrup. I also included mixed dried fruit (against the wishes of dear daughter who tried to convince me that chocolate chips were a much better idea!). The results, whilst edible, were in my opinion pretty disappointing as far as cookies go. Clearly I need more practice in this genre of sugar-free baking! I am sure I will attempt it again in future, but for now have I decided to stick to what I know with this version of the recipe. I hope you enjoy! 




_________________________


OAT & RAISIN COOKIES  

Makes 20 cookies




100g butter, softened
100g caramel sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp golden syrup
160g plain flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
80g oats
50g raisins

Step 1.) Preheat your oven to 170°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.

Step 2.) Beat the butter and caramel sugar together until incorporated. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined, then add the golden syrup

Step 3.) Sift the flour, cinnamon and baking powder into the bowl and mix to combine. Add the oats and raisins and mix until everything is combined. 

Step 4.) Wet your hands slightly and roll the dough into walnut sized balls. Arrange them on your baking tray and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand. Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden at the bottom but still slightly soft to the touch. Carefully transfer to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely. 




No comments:

Post a Comment