Thursday 26 June 2014

Lemon Curd Swirl Ice Cream




So before you think I have lost the plot let me confirm a few things. Yes, I know it is winter in the Southern Hemisphere. Yes, it is true - I am currently sitting at my desk, typing this recipe while the rain lashes my window and my fingertips begin to feel more and more numb. (In fairness it was 25 degrees two days ago, Cape Town - you tease!) But yes - I have still chosen to post this recipe that I created recently. On a cold day. In this here winter season. And that is simply because ice cream is fantastically fabulous and should, I think, be enjoyed and appreciated all year round! Everyone happy? Good! 




You might recall my recent post on lemon curd, and whilst thinking of ways to enjoy this lemony delight I could not get the idea of swirling it through creamy, homemade vanilla ice cream out of my head! So, the following day I popped out to the shops to pick up the ingredients, and promptly got on with it.




I was very pleased with the result - a super creamy vanilla ice cream with fresh, sharp bursts of lemon to balance the sweetness. Totally delicious, come rain or shine!


 _________________________

LEMON CURD SWIRL ICE CREAM





500ml cream
1 x 397g tin condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
90ml lemon curd

Step 1.) Whip the cream until you have soft peaks. Add the condensed milk and vanilla extract and whisk for a further minute or two to combine. 

Step 2.) Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and continue as per the manufacturer's directions.

Step 3.) Transfer the mixture into an appropriately sized freezer container. Drop tablespoonfuls of lemon curd (evenly spaced) on top, and use a skewer to swirl through the ice cream. Cover and place in the freezer until completely set.  

Note: allow the container to stand at room temperature for a few minutes before serving. 



2 comments:

  1. Perfect for summer on mud island ;) Looks delicious and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love lemon curd. haven't had it in a long time, but it looks great as ice cream!

    ReplyDelete