Monday 13 July 2015

BRIE, FENNEL & TOMATO TARTS




A few weeks ago I started buying a weekly fruit and veggie bag from an organic shop close to home. This is something I have been intending to try out for a very long time. Having small children has made me more aware of what we as a family are eating and this has been my main motivating factor for giving the weekly organic bag a go. I love that we are getting seasonal, locally grown produce and enjoying food without any nasties in it.




My gorgeous organic loot varies from week to week and I enjoy getting fruit and vegetables in my bag that I would not necessarily pop into my trolley if I was at the supermarket. Perfect example - last week I got a lovely head of fennel. I knew that I wanted to roast it, so I sliced it up and combined it with a few simple but fantastic flavours to make a tasty tart topping.



This is a versatile recipe - easy enough to put together for a weeknight supper but also great for entertaining. If you are looking for a little meat-free Monday inspiration then I have you covered too.  




Cooks tip: this recipe uses the fennel head, but hang onto those stalks and fronds! The stalks can be chopped up and cooked with fish or used as a substitute for celery, as a base for other dishes. The pretty fronds can be used as a garnish and are perfect for salads.


_________________________

 

BRIE, FENNEL & TOMATO TARTS


Makes 6 small tarts


 
400g puff pastry
1 small head of fennel, thinly sliced
150g mini Italian tomatoes, halved
10ml olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
125g brie, thinly sliced
1 large egg
2 tsp milk

Step 1.) Preheat your oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. 

Step 2.) Unroll the puff pastry and cut in half lengthways. Cut each long strip into 3 equal pieces so that you have 6 pastry squares in total. Arrange the squares on the baking tray leaving space in between.

Step 3.) Place the fennel, tomatoes, olive oil and garlic in a bowl. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and add the rosemary. Toss everything together. 

Step 4.) Tear the slices of brie into chunks and add these to the bowl. Give everything another mix. 

Step 5.)  Divide the tomato mixture between the 6 squares of pastry. Pile the filling into the middle of each square leaving a 1.5cm border around the edges. Whisk the egg and the milk together and brush this around the edges of each square. 

Step 6.) Pop the tray in the oven for 35 minutes or until the tarts have puffed up and are golden. Serve immediately.  




2 comments:

  1. Love these tarts, Teresa! I made something similar for my nephews wedding a while back; I cut the pastry into hearts, brushed it with basil pesto and top with tomatoes ~ everyone at the wedding loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zirkie. I love anything with basil pesto and your pesto and tomato hearts sound absolutely delicious. Must try that!

      Delete