Tuesday 26 July 2016

Almond and Apricot Thumb Cookies




This recipe takes me straight back to my childhood. Thumbs cookies were one of the first cookies I mastered on my own and there was many a Saturday afternoon when I proudly presented a batch to the family to be enjoyed with afternoon tea. I do not make them nearly as often these days but they are still a favourite and special because I associate them with happy memories of learning to bake. 




When I was working on my ebook Cookie Jar last year there was no question that this recipe had to be included. I did not have the original from way back when so I started from scratch and redeveloped it. If you are looking for baking ideas for the little ones this is a lovely tactile recipe - children (young and old *wink*) will love rolling the dough into balls, stamping out little holes and filling them with glorious sticky jam. 




Feel free to substitute the apricot jam with another kind, but I do find that apricot works brilliantly in this recipe. Also note that the potency of almond essence can vary between brands. If you are using a stronger essence then one teaspoon should be sufficient. 




_________________________


ALMOND and APRICOT THUMB COOKIES


Makes 30






100g butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/4 tsp almond essence
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
50ml smooth apricot jam


Step 1.) Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. 

Step 2.) Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add the egg and almond essence and mix in. 


Step 3.) Add the flour and baking powder and mix to form a dough. 


Step 4.) Take heaped teaspoonfuls of the dough and roll them into balls. Arrange the balls on the tray, then gently press the centre of each ball with your thumb to make a small hole. 

Step 5.) Fill the holes with apricot jam (about 1/4 teaspoon per cookie). Bake for 8 minutes, then turn the tray 180 degrees and bake for a further 8 minutes or until the edges are starting to go golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. 







4 comments:

  1. Yummo! I recall my Mom making these, she really spoilt us as kids, chocolate cakes, chocolate éclairs, beautiful butter biscuits. In Primary school my one teacher called me fudgey 😆 it's amazing how as adults we often cook similar meals to those we saw our Mum's cook, albeit with a twist! I need to make these as I make my own jams for our guest house and NOTHING beats homemade with ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as though those foodie genes have been passed down to you, let me know what you think when you try them!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ah, you must give them a try Tandy! ;)

      Delete